Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's nearly February now, and I see John and I have been...well, "heads down" in life? I have to wonder if this is a good thing since "coming up for air", ie: blogging, in our case, is not as necessary when the air is plentiful. With that said, things are pretty good! But it wasn't the case for much of December and January.

We were somewhat satus quo early December when I visited the DAN! doc in Boulder. She was concerned the nystatin William had been on prior to the appointment, was ineffective. She proceeded to prescribe diflucan. This is a heavy-duty blood yeast detox. It's a bear trying to hide medicine (that tastes like medicine) in Will's food. Especially because his food is void of casein, vinegar, sugar, gluten, soy, and peanuts...basically he eats fresh fruits, veggies and organic meat. Where do you hide nasty tasting meds? Sadly, I've ruined his love for apple sauce..so I have to be very careful! Anyway, I did manage to hide crushed diflucan, as well as the charcoal which helps rid his body of dead yeast, in fig jam. Who knew?! As a result of a process known as Herxheimer reaction, he went into a behavioral tailspin. Therapists, teachers, and our entire family felt he'd fallen into a massive regression...more than a year's worth. So we all prayed. And prayed. And I called the doc "just" a couple of times- absolutely panicking! Affirmed we were on the right track, we prayed some more.

FINALLY, the little guy has begun showing us behaviors he's never possessed! This is just in the past week or so. It's a new delight for us, and so comes the purpose of this post. It's a celebration for trudging on. Moving forward when it appears that you're quite possibly moving backwards.

I actually pulled William off his special diet for a few weeks in the fall. It is absolutely exhausting for anyone trying to keep it up. God bless the families who battle Celiacs and the myriad of allergies that can piggyback the disease. Thankfully, a little nudge from my husband and my mom, and a lot of energy for our Lord, we jumped back on the right track. And, thankfully I kept the appointment to see the DAN! doctor. And thankfully we continued with William's medicine even through the crazy behavior and difficult reports from teachers and therapists. And thankfully God does not leave us. Thankfully He watches over William every minute of his little life.

Well, here's my cheers to all: To moving forward through difficult times; that in the end, if we keep our faith, all will be as it was intended; that we will be better for having lived the experience.

And so I find myself wondering if blogging is a "coming up for air" pass-time? I think John had it right all along...this blog is a celebratory moment of peace amidst continuous chaos. That which we call "Life with William". In all fairness, I'll need to add: et al." ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, thanks for the update on Will! We sure miss him, Gavin still mentions him occasionally. Keep your eyes fixed on what is ahead. :) Much love to you all.